Dear friends of INES,
*** All of our work costs money. Please find instructions on donating money to INES in the last paragraph ***
Today continues the United Nations conference to negotiate a legally binding instrument to prohibit nuclear weapons, leading towards their total elimination. Please find the draft treaty here, an overview of the draft ban treaty here, and an open letter to President Trump and President Putin The World needs Nuclear Zero by David Krieger, Richard Falk, Noam Chomsky, Jody Williams, Daniel Ellsberg, Medea Benjamin and Mairead Maguire.
Similar to the supporting letter by the Future of Life Institute, the International Association of Lawyers against Nuclear Arms (IALANA) published a lawyers’ letter on nuclear abolition. It is open for signatories with a legal background. Please find and sign the lawyers’ letter here.
On June 17 the Women’s March to Ban the Bomb will take place in New York. Please find a ppt of Subrata Ghoshroy on The “Ban Treaty” and the prospects for Nuclear Disarmament here. INES will be present at the UN negotiations and we will continue to inform you on this historical process.
INES also has been at the NPT PrepCom in Vienna early May. The missile defense working group presented a statement on Missiles, Missile Defenses and Space Weapons as Obstacles to Nuclear Disarmament to the delegates of the NPT PrepCom at the NGO presentation.
INES was involved in four side events on Missile defense impact on nuclear disarmament and space weaponization, NATO, nuclear weapons and the ban treaty, Fighting nuclear Weapons in Europe, and A Nuclear Weapons Free Zone in the Middle East.
Again on nuclear weapons, at the international summit around the protests against the NATO summit in Brussels, Lucas Wirl gave a presentation on Nuclear Weapons in the World in the special session on nuclear weapons.
Nuclear weapons are one of the hot topics of the year 2017. But there are and have been also other issues and actions that are of high importance:
- For the March for Science and the AAA congress in February in Boston INES issued a statement on the plight of science.
- Please find the SGR open letter to party leaders on climate change and the UK economy
- Military research is being conducted on an institutionalized EU level. If you are interested in working on this, please contact us. In December at the EU Defense Summit the EU’s military research program shall be further implemented and decided upon. ENAAT produced a helpful piece of information on these processes. Dave Webb calls on scientists to oppose this program. INES together with others is working on such a campaign right now.
- Early July the Solidarity Summit around G20 Summit in Hamburg will take place
- In early September the Campaign Stop Air Base Ramstein conducts an international congress on military bases.
- In the first week of September or October 2018, there will be a World Peace Youth Congress in Berlin. PLEASE save the date. More information will be available towards fall this year.
The three main points of work in 2017 are nuclear weapons abolition, missile defense, and military research at an EU level.
All of our work costs a little money. We would like to ask you to pay your membership fees to INES and to financially contribute to the work of our network.
You may do so via the paypal-button on the INES website, to the INES account [Bank account at ABN Amro in Amsterdam/Netherlands. INES, IBAN: NL23ABNA0568896998 BIC: ABNANL2A] or via the account of our German member organization Kriwi [Account Holder Unterstützung internationaler Kommunikation (KriWi), Bank: GLS Gemeinschaftsbank eG, Bochum, IBAN: DE09 4306 0967 1115 8743 00, BIC: GENODEM1GLS]. Donations to Kriwi is tax deductible for Germans.
If you are searching for a different way to move money to us, please contact us. We are more than happy to find a way for you to do so.
We would like to thank you in advance for your help and generosity.