MBMDS REPORT RELEASE
ON-LINE EVENT AT THE 2021 IPB CONRESS
16 OCTOBER 2021
7:30 – 9 pm (CEST)
Claus Montonen: Chair Introduction of INES, the report, and the panelists for the event
Subrata Ghoshroy: A brief description of the contents of the report and the recommended next steps
Jürgen Scheffran: A few words about the 2002 INESAP report and the proposed missile ban
Monica Zoppe: Public perception of space as a battle ground
Dave Webb: Banning weapons in space (PAROS)
Subrata Ghoshroy: A ban on missile defense systems globally
Masako Ikegami: Missile proliferation and missile defense in East Asia
Lucas Wirl: Information about how to access the report and how to obtain the printed brochure
Claus Montonen: Concluding remarks and Appeal to join INES and for financial support
Q&A: Moderator Claus Montonen
INES/Abolition2000 releases report with the following recommended steps:
- We urgently warn against a dangerous situation developing in the further
militarization of outer space from the testing of anti-satellite weapons.
- We strongly recommend that attention should be focused on banning
both missile defense and anti-satellite systems globally.
- We demand an immediate halt to the deployment of missile defense
systems in Europe and the removal of existing systems.
- We recommend that the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty between
U.S. and Russa be revived immediately and discussions toward
achieving a multilateral treaty be vigorously and seriously pursued.
- We resolutely support moves to create Nuclear Weapon Free Zones in
Europe and the Middle East.
- We welcome Japan’s decision not to proceed with the procurement of
the Aegis Ashore missile defense system and urge Japan to sign and
ratify the TPNNW.