International group of scientists and academics issues urgent call to ban missile defense and space weapons !!
View the full report and the executive summary of the report II
MBMDS REPORT RELEASE
ON-LINE EVENT AT THE 2021 IPB CONRESS
16 OCTOBER 2021
7:30 – 9 pm (CEST)
Claus Montonen: Chair Introduction of INES, the report, and the panelists for the event
Subrata Ghoshroy: A brief description of the contents of the report and the recommended next steps
Jürgen Scheffran: A few words about the 2002 INESAP report and the proposed missile ban
Monica Zoppe: Public perception of space as a battle ground
Dave Webb: Banning weapons in space (PAROS)
Subrata Ghoshroy: A ban on missile defense systems globally
Masako Ikegami: Missile proliferation and missile defense in East Asia
Lucas Wirl: Information about how to access the report and how to obtain the printed brochure
Claus Montonen: Concluding remarks and Appeal to join INES and for financial support
Q&A: Moderator Claus Montonen
Participate in the hybrid event presenting the report via zoom on 16 October at 19:30 CEST II
INES/Abolition2000 releases report with the following recommended steps:
- We urgently warn against a dangerous situation developing in the further
militarization of outer space from the testing of anti-satellite weapons.
- We strongly recommend that attention should be focused on banning
both missile defense and anti-satellite systems globally.
- We demand an immediate halt to the deployment of missile defense
systems in Europe and the removal of existing systems.
- We recommend that the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty between
U.S. and Russa be revived immediately and discussions toward
achieving a multilateral treaty be vigorously and seriously pursued.
- We resolutely support moves to create Nuclear Weapon Free Zones in
Europe and the Middle East.
- We welcome Japan’s decision not to proceed with the procurement of
the Aegis Ashore missile defense system and urge Japan to sign and
ratify the TPNNW.